Ever since I can remember I've heard the comment that there is "no difference" between Canadians and Americans. I respectfully beg to differ as there is a difference on so many levels! We have unique Canadian culture consisting of Canadianisms, a Canadian perspective on world events, Canadian cuisine as well as products and foods only available in Canada. This blog is dedicated to celebrating all things Canadian from "my perspective" as a Canadian. Please enjoy your visit and be sure to visit often.

Garden Gnome
Americans should never underestimate the constant pressure on Canada which the mere presence of the United States has produced. We're different people from you and we're different people because of you. Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is effected by every twitch and grunt. It should not therefore be expected that this kind of nation, this Canada, should project itself as a mirror image of the United States.
- Pierre Trudeau

Monday, June 8, 2009

This Land is Your Land (Canadian Version)



In 1940 Woodie Gutherie wrote This Land is Your Land which became one of United States most famous folk songs. In the 1960's the song became popular again due to its political message. As with many well known songs there have been variations. In recent times the two additional confirmed verses in the original manuscript included.

This land is your land, this land is my land
From California to the New York Island
From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me.

As I went walking that ribbon of highway
I saw above me that endless skyway
I saw below me that golden valley
This land was made for you and me.

I roamed and I rambled and I followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
While all around me a voice was sounding
Saying this land was made for you and me.

When the sun came shining, and I was strolling
And the wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling
A voice was chanting, As the fog was lifting,
This land was made for you and me.

This land is your land, this land is my land
From California to the New York Island
From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me.

The additional verses from the original manuscript but omitted in the 1945 pamphlet of the song are:

As I went walking I saw a sign thereAnd on the sign it said "No Trespassing."But on the other side it didn't say nothing,That side was made for you and me.

Nobody living can ever stop me,As I go walking that freedom highway;Nobody living can ever make me turn backThis land was made for you and me.

In Canada, the song the first verse was altered by The Travellers in 1955 to make Canadian geographical references:

This land is your land, This land is my land,From Bonavista, to Vancouver IslandFrom the Arctic Circle to the Great Lakes waters,This land was made for you and me.

The Canadian version of This Land is Your Land is now a well known part of Canadiana. It was likely sung as part of every music period in Canadian elementary schools and performed in many school concerts. It was learned in Brownies, Girl Guides, Explorer's and 4H. The song was quite popular during parades, ceremonies, Centennial celebrations (1967) and political/labour protests.


2 comments:

  1. My compliments on your excellent blog, and superb writing. You are one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My compliments on an excellent blog. You are one of the best.

    ReplyDelete